Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Dear Blogger, It's been 26 days since I've posted.  I'm so sorry, I had such good intentions.  I have been up to some good projects, really.  Not as many as I had hoped, but quality over quantity & all that.  I have been trying to work on something every day, but life happens & before you know it a month has gone by.

So let me tell you what I have been up to.  Resin!!!  I am almost out of the kind of resin I can use indoors, so future resin projects will have to wait for warmer weather when I can use the smelly resin outside.  I am quite proud of this piece that I made the past 3 days:

I cannot draw to save my life, so I have to write notes for my ideas instead, or I have to just make them before I forget.  This baby's breath cabochon is one of those instances.  My daughter received a rose for Valentine's Day from a complete stranger while she was at work.  This rose came with baby's breath, so the moment she brought it home & put it in a vase I had dibs on the baby's breath.  I waited for 2 weeks before the rose finally became a wilted blob & I could safely make the baby's breath disappear.  I dried it over the woodstove for 2 days & then cut it up.

It's a long process, one that takes about 5 days to complete.  First, I put a thin layer of clear resin in a mold.  After that sets up for a couple of hours & becomes tacky, I added a few pieces of baby's breath, & then added more clear resin, just enough to cover the flowers.  Then I let that cure over night.  I left it in the mold, & then mixed up more resin, this time adding a tiny amount of acrylic paint.  For the first piece I used red paint, & for these 3 small demonstrative pieces I used orange, as per request of my younger daughter. 

This is what it looks like now.  Tomorrow morning I will be able to pop them out of the mold & show you how they turned out.  In the meantime, here are a couple of pictures to show & tell what else I have worked on this week: 

 The cheetah print are fabric scraps, & then there are a few solid colors that I will dress up with beads, & I also did 2 rectangles with tiny stones in them.  Once I glaze them & use seed beads on them I will update again.

Rose ear plugs!!!  This was a longer process which included a mold which I made myself, plain surgical steel ear tunnels, & black acrylic paint.  This is a project I will detail at a later date, so stay tuned! 

Thanks for reading my updates!  I still have not decided on a new name for my business, so the purple pendant is still up for grabs.  Maybe I should use one of those silly name generators you find on FB...  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment